What was that?
POCS were thriving and had expansive civilizations BEFORE white people came,colonized everything, and “discovered them”?
Go read the source article. And if you haven’t, go read “1491” by Charles Mann. Indigenous people in the Amazon actually found a way to farm that instead of wearing out the soil, actually IMPROVED it with extensive farming. It’s called terra preta and no one has been able to replicate it (not even living indigenous people), and if it were to become replicable it could have enormous impact on agriculture worldwide. #indigenoustechftw
Charles Mann states that for a long time (and still today) outsiders have thought of Amazonian Indian people as “remnants” of the most “primitive” state of humanity, when in fact evidence increasingly points to the idea that modern Amazonian indigenous ways of life are the result of massive upheaval in the face colonizing disease, warfare, land theft, and general genocide. That, effectively, modern Amazonian indigenous people are living in the aftermath of what probably looked a lot like an apocalypse to them.
Which, well, no duh.
are you sure it wasn’t some alien technology that let them farm sustainably before the White Men came & showed them how to civilised?
White people theworld didnt start with your invasion
I also read that the Amazon is just a giant garden. In other words, IT’S MAN MADE!!!! THE PEOPLE CREATED A STABLE ECOSYSTEM!!!! THEY WERE FUCKING GENIUSES. Read it here and here.
lmao only white ppl are surprised that civilizationwas doing quite fine before them, thank you.
2:28 am • 16 April 2014 • 20,636 notes
The Lady Of The Night (Epiphyllum Oxypetalum)
* Only blooms once or twice a year.
* Only blooms at night.
* Dies a couple of hours later.
2:34 am • 15 April 2014 • 616 notes
What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
Here are just a few excerpts of the Libertarian Party platform that David Koch ran on in 1980:
- “We urge the repeal of federal campaign finance laws, and the immediate abolition of the despotic Federal Election Commission.”
- “We favor the abolition of Medicare and Medicaid programs.”
- “We oppose any compulsory insurance or tax-supported plan to provide health services, including those which finance abortion services.”
- “We also favor the deregulation of the medical insurance industry.”
- “We favor the repeal of the fraudulent, virtually bankrupt, and increasingly oppressive Social Security system. Pending that repeal, participation in Social Security should be made voluntary.”
- “We propose the abolition of the governmental Postal Service. The present system, in addition to being inefficient, encourages governmental surveillance of private correspondence. Pending abolition, we call for an end to the monopoly system and for allowing free competition in all aspects of postal service.”
- “We oppose all personal and corporate income taxation, including capital gains taxes.”
- “We support the eventual repeal of all taxation.”
- “As an interim measure, all criminal and civil sanctions against tax evasion should be terminated immediately.”
- “We support repeal of all law which impede the ability of any person to find employment, such as minimum wage laws.”
- “We advocate the complete separation of education and State. Government schools lead to the indoctrination of children and interfere with the free choice of individuals. Government ownership, operation, regulation, and subsidy of schools and colleges should be ended.”
- “We condemn compulsory education laws … and we call for the immediate repeal of such laws.”
- “We support the repeal of all taxes on the income or property of private schools, whether profit or non-profit.”
- “We support the abolition of the Environmental Protection Agency.”
- “We support abolition of the Department of Energy.”
- “We call for the dissolution of all government agencies concerned with transportation, including the Department of Transportation.”
- “We demand the return of America’s railroad system to private ownership. We call for the privatization of the public roads and national highway system.”
- “We specifically oppose laws requiring an individual to buy or use so-called “self-protection” equipment such as safety belts, air bags, or crash helmets.”
- “We advocate the abolition of the Federal Aviation Administration.”
- “We advocate the abolition of the Food and Drug Administration.”
- “We support an end to all subsidies for child-bearing built into our present laws, including all welfare plans and the provision of tax-supported services for children.”
- “We oppose all government welfare, relief projects, and ‘aid to the poor’ programs. All these government programs are privacy-invading, paternalistic, demeaning, and inefficient. The proper source of help for such persons is the voluntary efforts of private groups and individuals.”
- “We call for the privatization of the inland waterways, and of the distribution system that brings water to industry, agriculture and households.”
- “We call for the repeal of the Occupational Safety and Health Act.”
- “We call for the abolition of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.”
- “We support the repeal of all state usury laws.”
In other words, the agenda of the Koch brothers is not only to defund Obamacare. The agenda of the Koch brothers is to repeal every major piece of legislation that has been signed into law over the past 80 years that has protected the middle class, the elderly, the children, the sick, and the most vulnerable in this country.
They’ve made no secret about what they want. And now, they can utilize their newly-defined right of free speech without limits to continue doing so…
This is the current philosophy of the Republican Party. Why more working people don’t get it is totally beyond me.
(Source: azspot, via alter43)
2:32 am • 15 April 2014 • 669 notes
TRANSGRIOT: Black Transwoman Monica Jones convicted of “manifesting intent to prostitution” in Arizona
Have another reason to not like Arizona despite some of the cool people who call it home.
Been keeping an eye on the ongoing case of ASU student Monica Jones, who was accosted on the street while walking in her Phoenix neighborhood during a sting operation and charged with ‘manifestation of intent to prostitute’ the very night after she spoke at a May 2013 rally denouncing Project ROSE. .
Project ROSE is a program created with 15 partner organizations including the Phoenix Police Department with the goal of avoiding filing charges against adults engaged in prostitution, providing an opportunity for medical and social services and assistance in helping them exit the life of prostitution if they choose.
In practice, the program and its profiled prostitution sweeps target trans, SGL and low income women far too often and has a 30% success rate, the same rate as a woman who goes before a judge and hasn’t gone through the unjust Catholic Charities supported program.
Jones believes she was unfairly targeted for arrest because of her outspoken criticism of Project ROSE. A Change.org petition
was created urging the Phoenix city prosecutor to drop the charges against her..
And they trying to throw her into a goddamn mens prison. FUCK the judge FUCK the poilice, FUCK the catholic charities, FUCK Project ROSE and ALLLLLL its partners. She is appealing. Keep her in your thoughts.
2:31 am • 15 April 2014 • 2,704 notes
“I tell my students, ‘When you get these jobs that you have been so brilliantly trained for, just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else. If you have some power, then your job is to empower somebody else. This is not just a grab-bag candy game.”
Toni Morrison (via jaegerjaques)
I’ve already blogged this before but it basically sums up my entire philosophy much better than I ever could so here we are.
2:25 am • 15 April 2014 • 19,281 notes
Special Report: Buddhist monks incite Muslim killings in Myanmar
MEIKHTILA, Myanmar (Reuters) - The Buddhist monk grabbed a young Muslim girl and put a knife to her neck.If you follow us, I’ll kill her, the monk taunted police, according to a witness, as a Buddhist
NOTE: Tonight, this article just won a Pulitzer Prize in journalism. Please check this out and learn about the widespread anti-Muslim violence in Myanmar that the mainstream media has ignored and so-called human rights activists have ignored mass killings of innocent Muslims.
2:24 am • 15 April 2014 • 287 notes
The Mission District before the hipsters took over
WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TRYIN TO DO TO ME
(Source: multimediadisorder, via audible-orgasm)
2:22 am • 15 April 2014 • 652 notes